Plastic Free Eastbourne's
39th Monthly Meeting
Sunday 6th March 7 pm
Present: Oliver Sterno, Christina Ewbank, Kathy Ballard, Tina Robinson, Nelson Kay, Sue Dixon ( Minuter)
Thank you to Stuart Durand for minuting last month's Monthly Meeting.
Apologies: Ray Jarvis, Robin and Sue Sykes
1) “Speaker of the Month”: 10} Oliver Sterno, “Eastbourne Spring Water Festival 22 ~ Oliver went through the programme.( see below). Tickets are available from Plastic Free Eastbourne and onlinetickerseller.com. (added later: Also Eventbrite for some events)
2) Matters arising from the minutes:
a) Review: Last month's (16th) challenge ‘Clear-out!’ Get rid of cleaning product plastic bottles.
b) Festival Feast 15th & 22nd May. Open to all!
c) Blue Flag and Seaside Awards progress.
Action: Kathy to ask Jim Murray to present this to Council as a motion
Oliver to put together a plan and contact Southern Water.
Christina to pursue this via the Chamber. All were agreed that the funding should be found.
d)Show the Love ~ thank you to Robin and Sue Sykes for hosting our participation
3) Eastbourne Spring Water Festival 22”: 13th to 22nd May 2022
Events so far:
· Friday13th Closing date for sending in entries for “The Sea” Creative Competition (send to email@example.com)
· Opening Ceremony with our Mayor ~ Sovereign Harbour (venue to be decided)
· Friday 13th to Sunday 22nd “Refill Quest”
· “walks to visit and use Refill Stations”
· Start of Catch 22's planning for their event
· Saturday 14th “Become a Citizen Scientist for an hour” ~ Cuckmere Haven
· “Studio on the Beach” ~ Cuckmere Haven
· “Seaweed Search” ~ Cuckmere Haven (note: after the meeting, these have been cancelled so that the participants can run a stall)
· Eco-Stalls Fair ~ Western Lawns
· Sunday 15th “Big Beach Clean”
“RunWednesdays H20 Run”
· “Festival Feast” ~ Crown and Anchor
· Monday 16th “Pilgrimage Walk from St Mary's Church”
· “Defiant Sports Harbour Litter Pick”
· Thursday 19th Litter pick in Price's Park” (Closed event)
· Friday 20th Litter pick on Western Lawns” (Closed event)
· Rock and Blues Concert by “Southern Spirit” ~ Crown and Anchor
· Saturday 21st “Become a Citizen Scientist for an hour” ~ Holywell
· “Studio on the Beach” ~ Holywell
· “Seaweed Search” ~ Holywell
· Litter pick in Prince's Park” (Closed event)
· Blue Planet @ Eastbourne ~ Lansdowne Hotel Conference Suite
· Sunday 22nd Closing Ceremony ~ with our Mayor ~ Holy Well
· “Festival Feast” ~ Crown and Anchor End by: 7.31
4) This months ~No. 18 ~ Challenge of the Month: Register for an “ESWF22” event during March
5) Lobbying campaign: “Biomass Plastics” Oliver gave the example of the plastic tree guards which can now be made from biomass.
Action: Oliver to contact local political parties to support.
6) Monitoring our campaign's journey towards Carbon Neutrality by 2030
To get to carbon neutral by 2030 will need regular (annual?) target setting with reviews. Indicators need agreeing. Suggestions:
*Number of refill stations; *number of PFChampions; *membership of PFE; *how many organisations have joined in this monitoring? Oliver has shared this timeline with the Council and Colin Swansborough is following this up.
7) Refill* progress: a) Cornish Refill Stations: from “Our Only World” ~ Tina Robinson: progress report: testing has been successful and the rotomould has arrived. Our units on order will arrive by the 31st March deadline. Oliver hopes to order 15 units this year.
b) Welcome Centre Plaza Refill Station – location was chosen.
c) Updating our Refill Eastbourne network Jill Shacklock has this in hand.
8) Aviva fundraiser started 1st March:
Action: Kathy to inform Shinewater link of the Refill station proposed for Shinewater
9) Other causes ~ Nelson updated the meeting on his projects which include a hydrogen-powered boat and graphic novel. Target of 2024 for the boat to be ready for use.
· Please share and support ~ Christina Kearley ~ is running in the Eastbourne Half Marathon. She is fundraising for Plastic Free Eastbourne. Please help her raise £1000 for a Refill Station: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/eastbourne-half-pfeutm_term=NebMBBdwA&fbclid=IwAR3dsctqKk1yADnIrnToPOCjq7ZsuxtPj1hAD1m8gQ7wSaCgMCzqUl8bvA8
10) Diary of events:
a) Tuesday 1st: Eastbourne Greenpeace meets on the first Tuesday of each month, at 8 pm in the Crown and Anchor, Marine Parade, and also on zoom, for people who don't want to meet in person.
b) Friday11th: our sixth “Eastbourne Spring Water Festival 22” Steering Group meeting
c) Sunday 6th: Monthly Meeting number 38 ~ online via Microsoft Teams
d) BHASSEXPLORE collective #greensockmovement
e) Sunday 27th: Mucky Mermaids Beach Clean Eastbourne Redoubt 10 am
~Next meeting (40th) Sunday 3rd April, 7 pm ONLINE:
or Face to Face in the Lansdowne Hotel
“Speaker of the Month ~ to be chosen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For sale: 1)Wild Tribe Heroes books by Ellie Jackson ~ £7.99p each. On line: in the notes section write “PFE” and we will receive the profits for each book sold ~ https://wildtribeheroes.com/shop/
2) “Plastic Free Eastbourne” Cotton T-Shirts £9 each; new version £14 each ~ Organic Regenerated Cotton “Ecologie” by Awdis.com
3) Litter pickers £4 each. £7 folding litter pickers
Please contact me if you would like to purchase from these last 3 items.
Oliver Sterno Community Leader ~ Plastic Free Eastbourne
Community Coordinator ~ Refill Eastbourne